13 October 2011

Day 5: First stroll into town

The wind has changed direction today - at 7.30am it's only 22 degrees rather than the usual 25 degrees! The light on the mountains makes them look surreal; for the umpteenth time I tell myself we are so fortunate to be here in Tahannaout - It really is a stunning place if rural life is what you like. By the way, you may be wondering why I have used the same banner photo on every page of my blog - well, this is Mart's photo of the view from our roof terrace over the old town of Tahannaout and the mountains. Beautiful, isn't it?

A shepherd and his flock
Saïd has offered to bring us fresh bread every day from a local village where it is still cooked in the traditional way in stone-baked ovens. He sets off on his bike and returns after his visit to the mosque with the most delicious round flat breads - 1 dirham each, that's about 8p - still warm and smothered in butter,    there is nothing quite like it.

The electrician has been today to check all is well in the house - it will suffice to say that Jaime, you will now have light in your bedroom when you come to stay :-) I bet you're wondering what you've let yourself in for...I did tell you it is a rustic home not a 5* luxury home...didn't I?

The fountain in our courtyard with a visitor
Taking a stroll into the newer part of Tahannaout this afternoon as we desperately need more water (drinking it by the litre in this heat), a washing line, a colander and garlic - diverse or what?! The locals are obviously quite amused to see white Europeans walking through their town and some just blatantly stop what they are doing and stare, others giggle, some say 'hello' in English to see if they get a response.. It makes me feel a little uncomfortable at times, but I just smile and continue on my way. I used to have a poster in my college days that said 'A smile is the same in any language'...how true this is! However, I think it will be a little while before I venture into town on my own, a white European woman alone may just be a little too much for a small community to understand or accept.

Our first sunset

6 comments:

  1. Howdy travelers this is the 6th time I'm trying to post this I'm having trouble!! Loving your posts really interesting to hear what your doing, fancy the locals starring at you ha ha x missing u lots x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks, Stace. Wondering why people are struggling with posting on this, so thought I'd give it a go myself. (You're not the only one struggling!) Hope you,Wayne and babies are well xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic kathy.. really interesting to read your adventures xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonyomous is paula!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, Paula. Glad you're enjoying it. Hope all's well with you x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.